Saturday 31 January 2015

Rain


Our planet is dependent on rain for its abundance in the form of brimming water resources, the cultivation and fruition of crops and for its greenery. In the same way, to feel complete, happy and grateful we need constant devotion to enable God's grace that can rain the nectar of bliss.

Out of the twelve months of a year, the months of rain (July-August) bear special importance. In fact the rest of the months are based on these two months in terms of health, well-being, happiness, comfort and prosperity of living beings. Lord Krishna has said to Udhav that 'the rainy season is one of my manifestations. If you want to thoroughly experience me then contemplate the variegated spectacle of the rainy season.'

The rainy season has an ethereal quality to it. It lends plenitude to the earth what with the play of clouds in the sky, the frolicking rivers full of rain water, the overflowing rivulets, the intermittent outburst of lightening from the dark full clouds, the dancing of peacocks, the solemn thundering of clouds, the drizzle and outburst of rain showers, and the satiated earth by the endless showers after the scorching heat of the summer. It seems that green velvety carpets have been rolled out on earth with its profusion of green cultivation and flowering of plants, trees and vines in all directions. Amidst all this the celebration, the delight of birds and animals adds to its beauty. Besides this, the rainy season has an intoxicating effect on human emotions too. It is no wonder that this beautiful and attractive scenery evokes passions in human heart.

The splendour of this season is only worth rejoicing in the company of your beloved. To a lone heart this spectacle is unbearable and dry. The rain seems to augment the pain of separation of lovers as has been shown in various literary texts. It is blissful to experience the grandeur of this season in the presence of a companion, but without her it becomes hard to endure.

Meera, too, expresses this sense of separation and togetherness in numerous poems describing rain. In the absence of Krishna, the Gopis are forever under the influence of the rainy season, as their cheeks and clothes are dark with the kohl from their eyes, as a waterfall of tears fall from them.

***********

Union

It's trying to rain, and Shyam is here with me.

The fine raindrops from the dark dense clouds
fill up the dry reserves
I see my beloved after a long time, and
feel anxious to part from Him.

Meera says she is deeply in love
as He is her consort from previous births.

















The monsoon is at full swing.
Please come home my Shyam.
The brimming clouds are everywhere
and are making thunderous sounds.
Frogs, peacocks and crested cuckoo
are crocking, cooing and singing.
Meera says to her Giridhar Nagar
all my offerings are but nothing.















Separation

1.
The monsoon is looming large,
making me soaking wet.
You have gone and lodge in
a distant land,
I pine dreadfully.
I have sent many letters,
when will you come my beloved?
Meera says to her Giridhar Nagar,
O' Almighty, please visit her.

2.
I saw the dark clouds and got scared,
O' Shyam!
the dense clouds frightened me!
Black, orange misty fog, suddenly
burst in a heavy downpour.
Wherever I go there is water,
making the land green.
One whose beloved is away,
had a good shower in the rain.
Meera's Lord is the immortal One
Please return my love.

















3.
I can't sleep without Ram.
I can't sleep!
The pain of separation torments me,
the flame of love melts my heart.
Without the wick of beloved,
the temple of my heart is covered in darkness
the lamp does not pity me.

Without Him my life is monotonous,
I spend my nights waking waiting for Him.
When the clouds roam the sky,
Frogs, peacocks, cuckoo sing the songs of love.
The lightening scares me, and
my eyes shed tears for you.
Where shall I go?
What shall I do, my friend?
Even the words of wisdom do not
pacify my agony.
I waste away in His absence, and
the flares of pain lash my heart
and makes me feeble.
Where is that friend who will
bring my sweetheart for me.

Meera says, when will my Lord come?
I only love my Mohan,
please come and tell me with your endearing laughter.

















4.
Ramaiya, it's only you that I love.
People love and then forget, but
my love strengthens day by day.
If I had known you only suffer in love,
I would have proclaimed not to love.
should eat burning hot food,
and should not befriend a foolish person
who is calm one minute and angry the other;
friend one moment and enemy the next.
If one loves one is called crazy,
and if deserts then is cruel.
Only a rare one is loyal to the end.
O Lord, you are like a rock and I am
just a sand castle.
Please accept me as I have been yours
in every birth.
Mangoes and acacia are sown
one is sweet and one is bitter.
your love is like that of an animal
Like the shallow rivers that soon run dry

The monsoon has arrived, the peacocks scream
Meer met the holy saints, like a whirlwind!




No comments:

Post a Comment