Sunday 1 February 2015

Cordial Dialogues


वाग् गद्दा द्रवते यस्य चितं
रुदत्य भिक्ष्णं हसति क्वचिन्म ।
विलज्ज उद्रायती नृत्यते च
मद्भक्ति युक्तो भुवनंपुनाति ॥ 
                  srimadbhagvat 11-14-24

One whose voice is full of devotion, heart melts at my name, who repeatedly calls out my name crying, who cries and laughs incessantly, and sometimes starts dancing without any shame, and who sings my praises, such a devotee not only purifies himself, but sanctifies the whole world through his speech and presence.

******

When there is a surge of a particular emotion, one cannot control oneself. It becomes difficult to express those feelings in words.  This is what a devotional dialogue is about. In such a state one loses the power of thought. If one is pining away in the absence of one's beloved then one starts talking of anguish and dejection, and if one is His presence,  the dialogue becomes congenial. And if these monologues or dialogues increase in intensity, then they take the form of ecstasy.

In this section, those verses are taken where Meera sings under the sway of these emotions of intense love and extreme anguish.


Prior arrangement

1.

O' mother! I have valued my Govindo.

Some say he is light and some say heavy
I have weighed Him using scales.

Some say He is dear and some say cheap
I have got Him at a charge beyond price.

Some say He is manifest and some concealed
I found Him in broad daylight.

Some say you can find Him at home
and some say through departing to the woods.
I  found Him playing with Radha.

Meera is her Giridhar Nagar's
due to His vow from a past life.

















Listen to the divine rendition of the above verse by MS Subbulakshami.

















2.

O' Mind, let's go to the banks of Ganga-Yamuna.
The pure waters of Ganga-Yamuna, calms the mind and body.
Where Kanha plays flute, together with Balbir,
wearing a peacock-feathered crown and yellow attire
with beautiful curls falling on each side.
Meera's Lord is Giridhar Nagar
she bows to His Lotus feet.

















3.

Hari! do remember me sometimes!
I long for you and you don't even cast a glance.
You are very cruel.
All my desires and efforts lead towards you
nowhere else.
You may have millions following you
but for me You are the only One!
The night has passed thinking of you
and now the dawn is breaking.
O' Meera' lord, Giridhar Nagar!
I lay down my life for you.

4.

My friend! I am enchanted by His looks!
I have been waiting for ages
standing here on my balcony.
I can't seem to forget His attractive face
its lodged in my heart.
Meera is only her Giridhar's,
people say she is an eccentric.

















 5.

O' fortune teller! tell me when will I see my Ram?
Come and read my fortune looking through your books.
I will give you five yards of Dakhni cloth
and give you a diamond cover for your texts.
and fine yellow robes and gems for your earring.

As many leaves (karma) fall from my tree
in those many days my Lord will see me.
When the winds (of devotion) are strong
all the leaves fall away, and
the Indistructible One shows up!

Meera's Lord is Giridhar Nagar,
She takes shelter in those Lotus feet.

6.

Krishna! Always be present before me.
I may be bad, Shyam, or may be good.
Good or bad, please live in my heart.
The path of love is very hard,
some say there are four veils (of ignorance),
and some say ten.
Meera says to her Giridhar Nagar,
if you profess to love Meera
you have to bear her taunts.

7.
Even if you break our bond, Krishna,
I won't ever break it.
Who can I love leaving you?
You are a tree and I am a bird.
You are a river and I am the fish.
You are the mountain, I the grass.
You are the pearls, and I am the thread.
You are gold, and I am the varnish.
Meera says her Lord is from Braj
He is her Lord and she is His servant.



















 

No comments:

Post a Comment