Monday 23 February 2015

Meera's Poems on Divine Love or Brajbhav




Meerabai's whole life was dedicated to this Brajras. Not only this, she considered herself to be a Gopi from the past life and also wrote many verses thinking herself to be Radha, the beloved of Krishna. She took herself to be Krishna's servant from innumerable lives and had bought Krishna from the bowers of Vrindavan!! What remains to be said or done after that?  Life’s primary goal to remain immersed in Divine love has been accomplished.
In this section we will see Meerabai's poems on Brajbhav or Sri Krishna' Raas Leela and His meeting with Sri Radha and Gopis. In all her poems, Braj is situated in her heart.


The Glory of Vrindavan

1.

My friend, I love Vrindavan!
where Tulsi is worshipped in every home
you see Thakurji everywhere.
Pure waters of Jamuna flow and
food of milk and curd.
There He graces a gem-studded throne
adorning a Tulsi crown.
In groves and bowers Radha walks
drawn to the melodious flute.
Meera's lord is Giridhar Nagar
without devotion life is dull.


















2.

I feel like wandering looking for Gopal.
Looking at Him all the time
I feel so helpless!
Like Him, I will carry a baton and flute
wearing yellow clothes.
I will take the form of a bird,
or of His crown, or will graze with the cows.
In the nights of Vrindavan
I will be a vine of flowers,
and will listen to the sounds of
the birds, animals, monkeys and saints.
My guru said it is tough, but why?
Meera has found her Giridhar
and she will be with Him forever!

3.

O Hari! Why did we love?
You have no idea, your love has
only given me immense pain.
You abandoned Gokul to live in Mathura.
What was so great about that?
Meera's Lord is Giridhar Nagar,
I cry out for you, O' Nand.

















4.

Akrur Leela - (when Akrur took Kanha to Mathura)

O friend! my shame became my enemy!
Why did I not go with Sri Lal Gopal?
That cruel cruel Akrur came
riding a newly adorned carriage.
He took Gopal in it, and
I stood there tight fisted!
My Shyam left us with a heavy heart
I cannot bear this separation!
Meera is Giridhar Nagar's maid
why did I not break down with grief?

















5.

You have left the bowers and groves,
which is so unbecoming of you.
If I were a fish in waters,
I would have touched your feet
when you came for a bath.
If I were a cuckoo in the woodlands
I would have listened to you when
you came to graze the cows.
If I were a feather of a peacock,
I would have adorned the crown on your head, Madho.
If I were a pearl in a shell,
I would have stayed on your heart
in the garland you wear, O Madho!
If I were a bamboo stick
I would have stayed on your lips
and drank their nectar
in the form of the flute, O Madho!
If you want to meet me, O' Meera's Ghanshyam,
I am dying to see you too, O' Madho!


















6.

Prankster Kanha -  (In this poem Krishna is teasing Radha. Radha objects and asks Krishan to stay away. Multiple expressions , from denial to desire, from teasing to shame, have been beautifully expressed.)

Don't clutch my arms, Kanha!
I am someone else's lass,
do not depend on me, O Gopal!.
You can twist my arms, but,
do not take my life away by gazing into my eyes.
In the groves of Vrindavan,
do not give up etiquettes and conduct wilfully.
Meera's God is Giridhar Nagar,
place His lotus feet in your heart
without any delay.

















7.

Gopi-Bhav (in the words of Gopi)

Kanha, do not forget me, I have no one but you.
We love each other, visit me day and night.
I live far away from you, do not stay away
from me, thinking I am with you.
My home has Tulsi sapling
bearing lush leaves;
the sun rises on my doorstep, and
in the courtyard there is a sandalwood tree.
People can say whatever they like,
do not listen to them and hesitate.
You are in each heart, and know everything.
Do not abandon the one you love.
If you still can't find my village,
know that my house is in Barsana.
Meera is deeply in love with her lord,
it hurts her deeply..

8.

I can't close my eyelids without Shyam.
Mathura seems deserted without Hari,
as the night without the moon.
I looked for Him everywhere,
every nook and corner of Vrindavan.
I will be a wandering hermit for my beloved
for my beloved, go singing to every house.
Bai Meera's Giridar Nagar
a pupil at His  lotus feet.

















9.

O' Kanha! How can I come to your Braj, to your Gokul town?
Mathura's here and Gokul's there and Yamuna flows in between.
If I step forward, my anklets get wet,
and if I jump in I will be drowned.
How shall I come to your Gokul city?
I went Vrindavan to sell the curd,
and had a tiff with Mohan on the way.

Yashoda chasten you Lal, he snatched my nose-ring.

Don't lie!! O cow-girls, Kanha is alone, you many.
My Kanhaiya is only five, you are crazy ladies.
Go and ask the king Kans, there is no justice in the Gokul town.

He twisted Radha's arm and
quarrelled in the streets of Vrindavan!
Meera's lord is Giridhar Nagar,
we are honest, associate with saints.

















10.

Passion of Gopi (Gopi bhav to serve)

Syam, keep me as your servant,
O' Giridharlal have me as a servant!
As a servant, I will tend your gardens
so that I can see your at every dawn.
I will sing your pastimes in the streets
and groves of Vrindavan.
Serving you, I will see you all the time
your thoughts will be my salary, and have
a passionate devotion as my treasure
all three things are fabulous!
A peacock-feathered crown
becomes you.
Adorning a garland of Vaijyanti
Mohan, the flute-player, herds the cows.
I will have a big palace with windows built
so that I can meet my Sanwariya,
wearing flowery saari.
There hermits will come to pine for you
and dispassionate will do their penances,
devotees will sing your glories
and so will do the people of Vrindavan.
Meera's lord is very mysterious
please stay in my heart, O shrewd one!
Lord shows up at midnight on the bank of Jamunaji.

















11.

Fly away! O crow of the woods,
my Shyam has been away for a long time.
I will meet my Ram if you fly away,
putting rest to all my doubts.
Gokul is here and Mathura is far away
Hari is very hard-hearted
He goes and settles in Dwarka,
while we live in Madhuban.
Meera's lord is the Indestrutible Hari
I take shelter of the devotees of Hari.



















 

No comments:

Post a Comment