Tuesday 30 December 2014

Meera's longing to see Hari

1.
O Hari!! I wonder where you've gone
leaving me alone on the path of love.
Having kindled my love for you,
whose care have you left me in?
Why have you abandoned me
alone in this ocean of the pain
of separation?
Meera's Lord! When will you come?
Without you I can't stay alive!



2.  
My love! It's you I'm devoted to.
Only you that I remember day and night.
I pray, day and night, using the clay lamp of my body,
burn the wick of my mind
with the oil of my love.
I comb the hair of worldliness 
with the knowledge that my Guru
Imparted, thus, 
I adorn the parting with pure intellect, and offer my riches 
and youth at your feet.
I adorn my bed with flowers, and 
wait for you!
The night passed counting stars in wait
my God has still not arrived!
The monsoon came, it rained,
but there's no sign of you!
Please come and wake me up 
if you find me asleep.
Make me complete 
like you are, my Lord!
Appease my anguish 
and accept me as yours.



3.
It is a connection only in name,
and the one I can never break.
I have turned pale like a dead leaf, people think I've contracted jaundice.
I've renounced the world to be
with my Ram.
Father sent for a doctor.
The foolish doctor doesn't understand.
Go away doctor, there's no need to check my pulse.
Not being with my beloved is my illness.
There's no medicine for it.
My skin lacks lustre, the tongue 
has receded into my throat,
the ring on my finger fits 
on my arm.
O! wicked cuckoo! Stop singing 'piya,
piya'
If a lonely lover hears you
She will give up her life in despair!
There's emptiness in the temple, emptiness in the house, and 
emptiness everywhere!
I roam love struck 
No one cares.
Hey crow! Take my heart away 
to where He is, feast on it
while he looks on.
I have a relation in name only
Nothing more than that!!
Meera is languishing!
Lord! Please come!
 














4.
Except Shyam who will understand
my songs?
Without Shyam, my house is dark, 
the lamp has engulfed the wick,
my tears have made me blind
turning them into uniformly dark
There's no worry or desire left
dispassion enters my heart.
I'm in love with him since childhood.
I don't know anything else but him.
If I'd known the pain of separation 
I would have gone with him.
Give me poison, kill me if you wish
I can't forget Govind!
The whole world knows
Meera's love for her Govind!





No comments:

Post a Comment